New Geoff Ryman + new editions

Wed 15 Sep 2010 - Filed under: Not a Journal., , | 10 Comments | Posted by: Gavin

We are very proud and happy to announce that in November we will publish Geoff Ryman’s new collection of stories, Paradise Tales. It is a huge, excellent book of short (and long!) stories collected from 20+ years of Geoff’s career. You can readShould be one of the best, most thought provoking collections of the year. The cover that you might have seen on Powell’s or Indiebound isn’t final: we’ll have that to unveil in the coming weeks.

We’ll also announce a blog giveaway for advance copies to those who might be inspired to write about the book (we’ll make sure to send a copy to the Rev. Jones in Gainesville!) and there should be a few stories appearing on the web to whet your appetite. Geoff’s stories are fantastic explorations of what it means to be human and we can’t wait to get them out there.

You can see the Table of Contents here. We’ve just added Paradise Tales to the preorder page—at some point soon we’re going to shift all our ebook links to Weightless which will mean we can use the shipping widget in Paypal. In the meantime, continued apologies to international readers: please remember to add shipping.

This is the second Geoff Ryman book we’re going to publish—but it won’t be the last! We just signed contracts to bring three of Geoff’s books back into print: The Child Garden, a biopunk future London novel with a love story between a woman and a piano playing polar bear(!), Was, which explores the book and the writing of The Wizard of Oz from many angles, and lastly Geoff’s previous novella collection, The Unconquered Country. Look for one of these every six months or so—which means The Child Garden will be out in May!

Comments

10 Responses to “New Geoff Ryman + new editions”

1. Emmons on September 15th, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank you so much for reprinting Geoff Ryman! And if you’re not done reprinting great and tragically neglected sf writers, can I suggest Paul Park? Celestis is overdue for rediscovery!

2. James on September 15th, 2010 4:00 pm

Stellar news. I hadn’t realized these were all out of print, which is just ridiculous.

3. F. on September 15th, 2010 4:27 pm

though missing some hard-to-find (e.g. “Family”) this is great news indeed. I’m happy to know that my Ryman’s collection is again incomplete.

and absolutely agree with Emmons re Celestis; I’d add Raphael Carter’s The Fortunate Fall.

4. Gavin on September 15th, 2010 4:46 pm

It’s true that it isn’t a Collected Stories, more of a Selected.

Interesting ideas for reprints on Paul’s books and I loved The Fortunate Fall so maybe will see what we can do.

5. SF Signal on September 16th, 2010 12:33 am

SF Tidbits for 9/16/10…

Interviews/ProfilesJeff VanderMeer interviews Mary Robinette Kowal.Chicago SF interviews Greg Egan.OTB interviews James D. Jenkins.Suvudu video of Brandon Sanderson.Angry Robot interviews Mike Shevdon and Dan Abnett.The Absent Willow Review interviews …

6. Niall on September 16th, 2010 2:01 am

I want this collection very much indeed! And my suggestion for another reprint was going to be The Warrior Who Carried Life

7. Gavin on September 16th, 2010 11:06 pm

Niall, I think Geoff said that’s going to be reprinted soon by a Canadian publisher.

8. Jim R on September 19th, 2010 9:03 am

Great news! A new Geoff Ryman collection is long overdue. I do wish there would be a hardcover edition, though.

9. The Half-Made Links (1) « Torque Control on September 23rd, 2010 5:03 am

[…] finally (until part two), hooray for Small Beer Press, for they are publishing a Geoff Ryman short fiction collection, Paradise Tales. I covet […]

10. Jonathan Rimorin on October 19th, 2010 10:28 am

I had all these Geoff Ryman books long ago (WAS was everywhere, at least for a time, like Griffin & Sabine), but I don’t think I ever read any of them. Now with Small Beer bringing back the wonder, I’ll check it out! Plus I’ll check out Paradise Stories while I’m at it.