Want to buy a bookstore in Portland, OR?

Fri 2 Jan 2009 - Filed under: Not a Journal., | Leave a Comment | Posted by: Gavin

23rd Ave Books is for sale. Or it’s going to close.

Go on, it’s a beautiful city and you’ve always wanted to run your own bookshop.

Comments

No Responses to “Want to buy a bookstore in Portland, OR?”

1. Gwenda on January 2nd, 2009 12:47 pm

You buy it and we’ll move there and run it. :)

2. lcrw on January 2nd, 2009 12:52 pm

Tempting. Only one small thing missing: the money! So we have a few fundraisers then we all move out there?

3. King Rat on January 2nd, 2009 5:55 pm

So very tempting. The hitches of course are moving to portland and the fact that my bookstore experience is limited to shelving.

4. Chris Muir on January 2nd, 2009 6:09 pm

Much as I think that more book stores is always better than fewer, I imagine that it’s really hard to compete with Powell’s.

5. lcrw on January 2nd, 2009 6:20 pm

Shelving is verrry good experience. Carrying boxes around, feeding the Obligatory Cat, giving annual quotes to newspapers about the liveliness of the book readership, and running down thieves are also useful skills.

I think (hope?) Portland is one of those cases where the strength of one (Powell’s) helps all the others. Book people (like us!) go to Powell’s, then discover all the other bookshops there. Everything rises together and all that.

6. Jason Erik Lundberg on January 3rd, 2009 6:17 am

Soooooo tempting. Portland would be such a cool city to live in.

7. Ben Parzybok on January 3rd, 2009 5:54 pm

Just say the word, and I’ll go take photos of the place.
    It’s not too far — but probably far enough away from Powell’s:
    here’s a google map link:

The shopping district is pretty nice/busy.

8. lcrw on January 4th, 2009 8:17 pm

This really goes through Couch Park??

The chances of us moving are about a million to one but don’t tempt us!

9. Ben Parzybok on January 4th, 2009 8:18 pm

Yeah! Powell’s is one block off of Couch street!

10. Erin on January 12th, 2009 8:06 pm

Damn. I do hope they get bought. I lived around the corner from this store till last summer, and they were always super-nice.

I will say, though, that in the dozen or so times I went in looking for something, usually not something obscure, they never had it, even one single time. I may not be representative of their customer base, but their selection was always tilted pretty sharply away from me.