All the books on this page are licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0) license. We encourage readers to take creative license with all of the books on this page and look forward to hearing from readers and remixers. We also encourage readers to support the publishers who are taking part in this grand experiment and, if appropriate, buy the paper editions. The books below are provided in low-res PDF, HTML, RTF, and text formats. We encourage any and all conversions into other formats. We’ll happily host, credit, and add your conversion to the file list below. Please abide by these few rules for file-conversions:
- Send us a link to the reader for your conversion so that we can include it on the downloads page.
- No DRM. We have no interest in DRM. If your format of choice has a means of restricting copying, use or playback, please do not use it.
- If the book has been converted to your format of choice but the conversion doesn’t suit you, go ahead and reconvert it for your own use and distribution. We will host the first (and only the first) version as the few formats we have provided are pretty much all we know anything about.
- "Most of My Friends Are Two-Thirds Water" MP3 64kbps audio, read by Alex Wilson Downloaded 678 times.
- "Most of My Friends Are Two-Thirds Water" Ogg Vorbis .ogg audio file; Q2; read by Alex Wilson Downloaded 60 times.
- Ant King HTML Downloaded 3117 times.
- Ant King Mobipocket 230.63 kB (Thanks Arachne Jericho!) Downloaded 1797 times.
- Ant King Plain Text 373.71 kB Downloaded 2553 times.
- Ant King Printable PDF 715.6 kB Downloaded 5594 times.
- Ant King RTF 400.18 kB Downloaded 1978 times.
- Baum Plan for j2me-enabled phone (Thanks Nicholas!) Downloaded 19 times.
- Baum Plan HTML 951.04 kB Downloaded 4204 times.
- Baum Plan Mobipocket 531.36 kB (Thanks Paul!) Downloaded 2593 times.
- Baum Plan on Scribd 72.62 kB Downloaded 288 times.
- Baum Plan Palm OS 315.67 kB (Thanks André!) Downloaded 1395 times.
- Baum Plan Plain Text 669.9 kB Downloaded 4400 times.
- Baum Plan Printable PDF 1.27 MB Downloaded 9033 times.
- Baum Plan RTF 975.45 kB Downloaded 2800 times.
- Baum Plan Sony Reader and more types (Thanks David!) Downloaded 464 times.
- Baum Plan Tarted-up HTML file 954.66 kB (Thanks Gareth!) Downloaded 1051 times.
- Interfictions 2 Study Guide 110.5 kB Downloaded 758 times.
- Magic For Beginners - Palm OS 195.84 kB (Thanks Darren!) Downloaded 971 times.
- Magic For Beginners - Plucker 149.93 kB (Thanks Alan!) Downloaded 961 times.
- Magic For Beginners HTML 396.62 kB Downloaded 6047 times.
- Magic For Beginners Mobipocket 215.99 kB (Thanks Arachne Jericho!) Downloaded 1783 times.
- Magic For Beginners Plain Text 358.18 kB Downloaded 3869 times.
- Magic for Beginners Printable PDF 1.56 MB Downloaded 15034 times.
- Magic For Beginners RTF 424.05 kB Downloaded 2724 times.
- Most of My Friends are Two-Thirds Water (read by Alex Wilson) AAC (64 kbps .m4a audio) Downloaded 75 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters HTML 870.67 kB Downloaded 3740 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters Mobipocket 306.67 kB Downloaded 2673 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters Plain Text 520.42 kB Downloaded 2960 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters Printable PDF 2.08 MB Downloaded 6775 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters RTF 786.98 kB Downloaded 2478 times.
- Mothers and Other Monsters Tarted-up HTML 577.34 kB Downloaded 1946 times.
- Small Beer Press 2012 Catalog 2.32 MB What's happening? Also: here we go, here we go, here we go! Downloaded 228 times.
- Sofia Samatar, A Stranger in Olondria chapbook 587.96 kB A free pdf download excerpt from Sofia Samatar's debut novel A Stranger in Olondria. Downloaded 308 times.
- Stranger Things Happen Kelly Link's debut collection formatted for the Kindle. (Thanks: Mario Pineda!) Downloaded 1522 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - Ereader 202.91 kB Downloaded 801 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - iSilo 224.04 kB Converted for the e-book reader iSilo which is available for various mobile platforms. (Thanks: Colin Dunstan!) Downloaded 447 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - Palm OS For most ebook readers. (Thanks: Byron Collins!) Downloaded 3963 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - Plucker 197.32 kB Plucker is a reader for mobile devices running the Palm operating system. This is a Plucker conversion of the HTML file on this site. (Thanks: Mark Hainline!) Downloaded 3860 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - Plucker 2 197.42 kB Plucker is a reader for mobile devices running the Palm operating system. This version includes links for navigating from the table of contents to each story. (Thanks: Howard Bales!) Downloaded 3678 times.
- Stranger Things Happen - TomeRaider 240.04 kB TomeRaider is an ebook format for PDAs. (Thanks: Byron Collins!) Downloaded 3477 times.
- Stranger Things Happen HTML 482 kB Downloaded 16326 times.
- Stranger Things Happen HTML v.2 482.67 kB Converted so that the table of contents is linked as is license info and about the author info. It is also html optimized for reading on a pocket pc. (Thanks Matt Katz!) Downloaded 854 times.
- Stranger Things Happen Mobipocket 262.21 kB MobiPocket -- Conversion from the html version for MobiPocket reader, with chapter information and a table of contents. 204k. (Thanks, Daniel Rodriguez) Downloaded 1125 times.
- Stranger Things Happen Plain Text 461.49 kB Downloaded 14196 times.
- Stranger Things Happen Printable PDF 2.5 MB Also available on the Gnutella and Gnutella2 peer-to-peer networks. Downloaded 25262 times.
- Stranger Things Happen RTF 568.5 kB Downloaded 8062 times.
- The Ant King - plucker Downloaded 272 times.
- The Specialist's Hat MP3 36.38 MB MP3 audio read by Jason Lundberg. 40 minutes. Downloaded 322 times.
- Working Writer’s Daily Planner 2011 order form 100.25 kB A Working Writer’s Daily Planner is available from all good bookstores and is also available at a discount to workshops, book groups, companies, colleges, or for use as a premium. Please use this form for ordering multiple copies. Downloaded 391 times.
FAQ (ca. 2005)
We love books. We want to keep on publishing good books. Weird books. Interesting books. We are curious about the future. If everyone downloads books straight to the Kindlenub in their head, we might be in trouble. But if there are still people who like to read books on paper, maybe some of them will read some of these downloads and then decide they would like the actual books. Therefore we’re releasing some of our books
also releasing it as a free download in various completely open formats with no Digital Rights Management (DRM).
2. Creative What?
We’re interested in spreading the word about Creative Commons. Copyright is a good thing and artists deserve to be paid whatever society is willing to pay for their work. But, do artists need to retain the rights to their work for 70 years after their death? Uh, no.
3. Can’t I buy the book?
Yes, we certainly encourage readers to buy the book — we’re a tiny independent press. We receive no grants, we’re not a nonprofit: sales are good!
4. Will giving this book away kill sales?
We don’t think so.
60,000+ people have downloaded Kelly Link’s Stranger Things Happen since we made it available under Creative Commons. In the meantime the book has gone into its sixth printing, has been translated into more than half-a-dozen langauges, is being taught in many schools, and is still being passed hand to hand to new readers.
Our books are available in hundreds of libraries, on books.google.com and Amazon.com’s Search Inside program, in a few used bookshops, on BookCrossing, Scribd, Teleread, and, again, in hundreds of libraries.
In other words: as with any book, if you want to read it for free, you can. We’ve just made it easier for this book to reach the 6 billion readers out there!
Got a question? Email us and hopefully we’ll post an answer. We are a tiny press, though, so please don’t get jumpy if we don’t answer immediately. We’re busy working on our next books, freelancing, or performing quality control on chocolate.
- Much of the impetus, information and inspiration for using the Creative Commons license came from author, innovator, and groundbreaker Cory Doctorow. (Thanks, Cory!)
- Thanks also to our webhost Utopian.Net (run by artists for artists) for help with this project (and being great hosts!).
A number of readers pointed us toward Jim Kelly’s great page of Free Audiobooks and suggested we add a donation button.
Please note: this is not something you have to do (especially if you own the book!). The electronic editions above are Free — and one of hopefully many Creative Commons-Licensed Free Downloads we’ll release (check for updates).
You can buy the book at the following spots: Paypal | mail order | Our local bookshop | Powells | Direct: 800-729-6423. If you donate below, we’ll send you a thank you email but nothing else (well, unless you go wild!). We’re an indie press, hoping to survive, bent on publishing the best books we can find and in no way a 501(c)3 or whatever kind of non profit. We want to make a living publishing good books and pay authors and artists decent money along the way. We are ‘for profit’ even if that’s more of a conceptual aim than an actuality as yet.
So thanks for reading. It’s a noisy world and we appreciate the time you took getting here. Enjoy the book, spread it far and wide, come back sometime, and if you really want to, go ahead and donate: