We sent out the following note this morning. More below:
EASTHAMPTON, MA, July 23, 2013 — Small Beer Press is delighted to announce that audio rights to seven new and forthcoming titles have been acquired by Audible.com.
The first release will be award winning North Carolina writer Nathan Ballingrud’s debut collection, North American Lake Monsters: Stories. Also forthcoming within the next year are:
- Alan DeNiro’s second collection Tyrannia and Other Renditions
- Benjamin Parzybok’s 2014 novel Sherwood Nation
- Peter Dickinson’s mysteries Death of a Unicorn, The Poison Oracle, and A Summer in the Twenties
- Sofia Samatar’s recently published debut novel A Stranger in Olondria.
Gavin J. Grant, Publisher of Small Beer Press stated, “We love the books we publish and getting audio editions out there is becoming more important day by day. We’ve worked with many of the best audio publishers and are happy to add Audible to the mix.”
Audible, Inc., is the leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet, offering customers a new way to enhance and enrich their lives every day. Audible is also the preeminent provider of spoken-word audio products for Apple’s iTunes® Store.
Small Beer Press is a Massachusetts based independent publisher headed by the husband and wife team of Gavin J. Grant and award winning author Kelly Link. Small Beer publishes a dozen or so select titles per year and also runs the DRM-free ebooksite, http://weightlessbooks.com. For more information, visit our website at http://www.smallbeerpress.com.
This should be good news for authors and audio fans everywhere. Previously we’ve worked with
- Recorded Books: Ursula K. Le Guin, The Unreal and the Real, Maureen F. McHugh, After the Apocalypse, Karen Lord, Redemption in Indigo, and Julia Holmes, Meeks
- Brilliance: Holly Black, The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
- Iambik: Benjamin Parzybok, Couch, Jennifer Stevenson, Trash, Sex, Magic, and Laurie J. Marks, Fire Logic, Earth Logic, and Water Logic
- and Listening Library: Delia Sherman, The Freedom Maze
And we were very happy when Brilliance did the audiobook of Steampunk! and Recorded Books did Kelly’s collection Pretty Monsters.
Audiobooks are a growing part of the book business and we want our books read—or listened to—so I expect we will be selling more titles to Audible in the future but we will also shop them around to make sure we do well by our authors and readers.
And if none of this is fast enough for you and you want to listen to a good story right now, then I recommend our podcast which you can listen to here or subscribe to using iTunes or the service of your choice: