Been meaning to post something in response to this guest post by Rachel Manja Brown and Sherwood Smith at Rose Fox’s Publishers Weekly Genreville blog “Say Yes to Gay YA.” To get to the essence of it: yes, we are open to all kinds of books with all kinds of characters.
To answer a few follow on questions:
- Yes, we are open to submissions from anyone. (Hence we are always behind on reading, sorry.)
- No, we don’t take electronic submissions—with only Kelly and I reading if we took electronic submissions all we would do is read, we wouldn’t ever have time for anything else.
- Yes, I and/or Kelly read everything that comes in.
- Yes, we publish first time authors, old hands, well known and unknowns. We love books, we love the books we publish. If we love your book, we’ll publish it. We are constrained by time and budget to 10-12 books per year. (Buy our books and help us publish more!)
- Yes, we pay advances. The highest we’ve paid is in the low five figures, so, no, you are not going to get a huge offer from us.
- Yes, we pay industry standard royalties (although our ebook royalty is twice industry standard: 50% of net receipts).
- Yes, our books are for sale everywhere through the good people at our distributor, Consortium.
- Yes, all our books are available in print and ebook editions: although no doubt soon we will start adding some ebook only titles.
But all that is by the by: mostly I just wanted to make it very open and obvious that we are open to submissions from everyone.
Posted this morning after watching this video (link from Metafilter):