Free the (second) Hound

Mon 6 Dec 2010 - Filed under: Not a Journal., , | 8 Comments | Posted by: Gavin

Slepyng Hound to Wake Boston bookhound Henry Sullivan is back and we think The Second Hound, aka Hound2, or, A Slepyng Hound to Wake, is even better than the first one.

And, the first five people in the US/Canada who promise to review Hound2 in their blogs/on their TV shows/etc. and post something interesting (as despotically judged by us!) about books/bookshops/book hounds or books scouts/etc., in the comments will get a free free free gratis copy sent to them asap.

Comments

8 Responses to “Free the (second) Hound”

1. James on December 6th, 2010 1:12 pm

I promise.

2. Gavin on December 6th, 2010 1:31 pm

James, where’s your story about books??

3. Tom Bowden on December 6th, 2010 1:39 pm

Do I love books? I have seven six-shelf bookcases in my bedroom! Despite holding a full-time job, being a good dad to my daughter, and an attentive lover to my girlfriend, I have managed to read–so far this year–226 books. Yum!

What exactly did you want me to say about books? Let me plug a first-rate indie bookstore in Michigan: the Book Beat, located in Oak Park, co-owned by Cary Loren, one of the founders of the band Destroy All Monsters.

4. James on December 6th, 2010 2:15 pm

What? You still expect me to audition at this point in my career?

Alternatively: My story is written in invisible pixels. Just hold your computer over a flame and it will appear.

OK, OK. One version of my story is a lot like Tom’s. Not to sound like that annoying Kristen Wiig character on SNL, but I have a dozen 10-foot shelves full of books at home and am a good dad to not one but two children. I still find time to work in a bookstore and be an attentive lover to Tom’s girlfriend.

Or: Just yesterday I was in an indie bookstore (not the one where I work) and found myself answering multiple questions for other customers at the info desk that had stumped the real employees.

Another: I once tried to sell some of my own used books in top-notch condition at yet another store that sold new and used books. While the clerk was rejecting the top book on my stack for fear it wouldn’t move, she interrupted herself to ring up another customer who was buying–you guessed it–a brand-new copy of that same book.

This retailer’s favorite annoying question: Do you have any Shakespeare translated into English?

A bad story of book scouting: http://www.slate.com/id/2268000/

And if it carries any weight, I’m going to see Ted Chiang’s reading this weekend.

5. Gavin on December 6th, 2010 5:39 pm

Tom, send us your address!
    James: methinks we have your address!

I read half that bookscounting story: blech, no fun.

Lucky you (maybe) getting to Ted’s reading!

6. Tom Bowden on December 6th, 2010 8:04 pm

216 Harrison, Apt. 204
    Chelsea, MI 48118

And, no, Julian Assange is not hiding out in my apartment.

Thanks in advance for the book!

7. Nolly on December 9th, 2010 4:53 am

Well, I can do reviews on FB and LibraryThing, though I can’t promise to be super-fast about it.

I’ve been known to handsell books to strangers in my local indie genre bookstore. Note that I don’t actually work there; I’m just in regularly. Once they gave me an ARC when I stopped in to browse because I didn’t want to go straight home after being laid off. They also know my birthday.

8. Gavin on December 9th, 2010 3:47 pm

Nolly, we’re happy to send you a book!