A free Chateau(reynaud)

Fri 26 Mar 2010 - Filed under: Not a Journal., , | 17 Comments | Posted by: Gavin

At the end of May we’re going to publish our second translation (yay Edward Gauvin for bringing it to us!), a collection by French legend Georges-Olivier Châteaureynaud titled A Life on Paper. Yes folks, we are in it for the money: not only a debut short story collection, but a translation.

Money, you say? What’s money got to do with art? Ignoring that question and swiftly going on to: “Money!” says the French government! They popped up with not one but two grants (the Hemingway and the French Voices) making up $6,000 of support for this book. Whoopee—we can pay the translator! Which is good, because Edward’s been hard at work placing stories from the book in Conjunctions, Harvard Review, Joyland, Southern Review, Agni Online, F&SF, Words Without Borders, and more, more, more. If you read this month’s Harper’s . . . no you won’t find a story but you’ll find a teeny ad for the book. Ha!

Ok, so, free books*: post something interesting about you, France, French things (not Freedom Fries, but anything else goes) in the comments and in a week or so we’ll randomly pick five and reward them with an advance review copy which we hope you the happy winner will dive into and enjoy the way we have and maybe even go on TV and rave about it in a bouncing-on-the-couch-aliens-told-me-to-do-it fashion that gets talked about for years after. Ok? Ok!

* US + Canada readers only, sorry—maybe we can get someone in the UK, Australia, Rest of World to pick up the rights.

Comments

17 Responses to “A free Chateau(reynaud)”

1. Matt Rowe on March 26th, 2010 3:00 pm

In France, as I understand it, all cats are required to pedal their bicycles backwards.

2. Kristin Thiel on March 26th, 2010 3:14 pm

Long long ago (pre-9/11), in a place far far away (college), I was feeling something (squirrely, angsty, unsettled), so I walked into a travel agency on my way home from class and asked where I could go over the upcoming long Thanksgiving weekend for the small amount of money I could spare. Paris! Staying in the Latin Quarter; visiting the Louvre and the catacombs; nodding with my high school-level French while I shopped until the clerk paused and asked, in English: You really understand the French word for “metallurgist”?

3. Lisa A. Grabenstetter on March 26th, 2010 3:23 pm

France was mildly devoid of moat monsters when I last visited, though Annecy did have some lovely canal beasts. Also, a brilliant free animation museum.

4. Gay Partington Terry on March 26th, 2010 4:14 pm

I saw things on the slopes of Val d’Isere that would haunt me forever!

5. Margo MacDonald on March 26th, 2010 4:44 pm

There are ravens at the top of Mont Blanc. 12,000 feet up. Nothing but snow and ice, clouds and rock — and black, black ravens spreading their wings against the sky.

6. Susan Stinson on March 26th, 2010 4:45 pm

The unicorn tapestries at the Musee de Cluny might be allegories for the senses — sight, smell, touch, hearing, taste. They are in an excellent, evocative darkened room.

7. Nolly on March 26th, 2010 5:12 pm

My brother and his wife began their married life as missionaries in France.

8. mina on March 26th, 2010 6:41 pm

Word on the street is that France has a thing for you.

9. Richard Parent on March 26th, 2010 6:46 pm

I was going to post a lengthy expose on Jean de La Fontaine’s 16th century fable, “Une grenouille vit un boeuf” about an exploding frog, and how its unbreakable code had finally been cracked by quantum computing… but I think I’ll take the Vichy option and just give up now.
    Besides, there’s a nice Cote du Rhone waiting for me. Who has time to post comments when wine and fine dining awaits?! (Though a post-prandial reading by Châteaureynaud *would* be tres agreeable!)

10. Greer Gilman on March 27th, 2010 8:50 am

Once in Paris on a rainy day, my friend and I were taken for Bulgarian refugees.

11. Alissa on March 27th, 2010 9:04 am

Best French exchange student we hosted got a whoopee cushion stuck on the roof of my grandmother’s vacation house (I have a photo of my mother up on a ladder retrieving the cushion). The worst French student we hosted left a shopping bag of stolen silverware in our guest room when she left.

12. James on March 27th, 2010 12:24 pm

When I traveled in France with my French wife who did all the talking, my lack of interest in conversation with shopkeepers was read as haughty disdain and was so convincingly Gallic that many refused to believe that I don’t speak French.

13. A Life on Paper Giveaway at Small Beer on March 30th, 2010 1:47 am

[…] is due out in May. Only your enthusiasm can make it the event the author merits. Head on over to Small Beer’s Not a Journal blog; it’s easy to enter: “post something interesting about you, France, French things (not […]

14. Scott on March 30th, 2010 9:46 pm

I worked on three Frances in the 1960’s and 1970’s. The latter two were canceled very early on, but it’s possible to perceive in the original inklings of what might have been. We had hoped to do #4.

That’s all I got. And once, in 2005, I was the only person on the entire back half of an Air France Airbus CDG-JFK.

Yay, Edward! Yay, Small Beer! Congrats all around.

15. Lucius Shepard on March 31st, 2010 9:28 am

I lived for several weeks in a house in Paris owned by Bunty that served as crash pad for various hitchhikers and backpackers. Bunty a middle-aged American woman awho wasan ex-lover of Robert Graves. Her two sons also were in residence, one a 20 year old heroin dealer and the other, 15, who was then in trouble for sexually assaulting the maid. The basement was occupied by a Rumanian guy with a printing press who worked night and day printing communist leaflets. Bunty smoked kif constantly and rarely left her bedroom. I had two encounters with her: when i was introduced to her, and about ten days later when I ran into her in the kitchen. She didn’t recognize me and threw a glass at me. I managed to calm her down and she then asked me to go to the bakery and get her a pastry. It was while walking back from the bakery that I met the young woman who became my first wife.

16. Nate on March 31st, 2010 2:24 pm

My one visit to France was to the island possession of St Pierre, a few dozen miles south of Newfoundland. People tell stories about France, but they’re usually obvious lies. From my experience I know that in France you can make purchases with Canadian dollars and watch Montreal Canadiens games on TV. Anyone who doesn’t mention Loonies and the Habs obviously didn’t go to France.

17. Laura Meehan on April 8th, 2010 10:40 am

I spent the summer in France, studying the language, when I was 19. It was life-changing, perhaps the first time I’d truly been on my own. I saw the bulls run in Pamplona one weekend, enjoyed tons of cheese and cheap red wine, and fell in love with Paris. I spend a lot of time longing for that summer now that I’m a freelancing mother of two! :)