Need serious Mac help…

Tue 12 Jan 2010 - Filed under: Not a Journal., , , | 7 Comments | Posted by: Gavin

Yon trusty MacBook was listening to the previous post and promptly gave up the ghost. Which is somewhere between utterly crap and mildly crap and I wondered if there’s anyone out there who can help? (Either in the comments or gjgrant at the google behometh.com, thanks!)

Of course my backup system, a hodgepodge of very careful and not so careful is now coming back to bite me. Hilariously I had just bought Snow Leopard so that I could automatically continuously back up our laptops. Ha.

I’d been running OS X 10.4 and I’d cloned the 80GB hard drive onto a backup drive (a Time Capsule, but not using Time Machine as it does not work with 10.4). I upgraded it to Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and it ran for a day or so then cra-cra-crashed. I ran it along to the Apple store in Boston who, telling me this was a known issue for that drive and this laptop replaced the drive with a new one (for free) and were going to recycle the drive. Today I went in and rescued the old drive as the cloned hard drive is either corrupt or not working (or I did it wrong) and can’t be opened.

Some of my files are on the office machine, some are backed up using SugarSync but there is some stuff on this dead drive that, if the clone is really useless, I’d love to get at.

The Apple guy here suggested buying a disc enclosure at Best Buy and some data recovery service. I’m thinking I will get a disc enclosure, take it home, see what happens—which will take care of the next couple of hours. I’m in Boston tonight, will be in Easthampton seeing what’s on the backup drive there tomorrow.

Comments

7 Responses to “Need serious Mac help…”

1. Ben on January 12th, 2010 7:54 pm

Shite! When somebody has a dead drive I usually recommend not attempting to fool with it. Your data is probably worth a recovery service, though they’re not cheap.

Re prevention: a copy of Disk Warrior and a subscription to Backblaze. Both fully worth the money in my opinion.
    Sorry to hear it–good luck.

2. William Donohue on January 12th, 2010 7:55 pm

A cheaper solution, if you can find one, is to pick up a SATA-to-USB adapter. Generally you can get them at Micro Centers or Fry’s, though Best Buy may be carrying them now. They run about half what you’d pay for an enclosure.

3. Lauren on January 12th, 2010 10:38 pm

I subscribe to mozy, which is a free data backup service. You can get unlimited backup for 4.95/month, although I’ve just kept the free service (about 4 gb, I think). It might be a good option for future consideration, though.

I’ve had to do “repair disk permission” on my mac more than once–I doubt it would fix something that’s dead and gone, but something to keep in mind if a machine starts acting wonky in le future.

Good luck to you!

4. Gavin on January 13th, 2010 10:52 pm

Hey y’all good people. I got into the drive as a “Target Drive” from my iMac and copied most of what I needed. Will see soon whether stuff like the email is actually getable. I tried “Repair” and “Verify” the disk and there was lots of red ink and harsssh warnings about backing it up (and walking away slowly!).

May go see if I can get a SATA-to-USB (since the enclosure I was assured would fit the Mac HD didn’t, bleh) and while I use some free back up services (SugarSync, Dropbox, did use Foldershare) I have the Time Machine + another HD, so may just leave it at that. Or is that asking for trouble?

5. Michael on January 14th, 2010 9:27 am

I have had luck accessing drives from dead computers by installing them into still working computers (though it is a lot easier when the still working one is a full size desktop). But if you’ve got an SATA enclosure and an SATA drive that just happens not to fit, all you really need is to plug the thing into it without actually fitting it inside. It won’t look pretty but it should run.

And yes if you can access the drive you can recover emails. I will talk to you more about this tomorrow.

6. Mac Recovery on January 15th, 2010 3:55 am

Hey i got a fix from a recovery application called Stellar Phoenix Mac Recovery software having wonderful recover options and efficient recovery performance.

7. Ephemera | The Mossy Skull on May 17th, 2010 4:02 pm

[…] I got me a handed-down white dual 1.8 MacBook, christened Ilom, for which I shall remain eternally grateful to parties who […]