more birthdays?

Tue 7 Jul 2009 - Filed under: Not a Journal., | 10 Comments | Posted by: Gavin

A Working Writer's Daily Planner 2010: Your Year in Writing CoverWe are putting the final finishing touches to our daily planner and one of the fun things we’ve been doing is looking up birthdays of writers (and, er, others) who we like and adding them (H. P. Lovecraft, Gary Larson, Edith Nesbit, Molly Gloss, and so on).

Any suggestions?

We need a citation for the date—although we’ll accept Wikipedia (as long as you didn’t just change it!)

A Working Writer’s Daily Planner 2010: Your Year in Writing
Small Beer Press

August 2009
9781931520584 · Trade paper/spiralbound · 6 x 9 · 160 pp · $13.95
Mail Order
Powells
Our Local Bookstore
Your Local Bookstore

Comments

10 Responses to “more birthdays?”

1. Greer Gilman on July 7th, 2009 7:05 pm

Hope Mirrlees? Born 8 April 1887.

Greer

2. Ben Parzybok on July 7th, 2009 7:31 pm

I assume you have both Ursulas?

Volcanoes?
    Mt. St Helens? May 18, 1980
    Krakatoa August 27, 1883
    Popocatapetl December 21, 1994
    Mt. Pelée May 8, 1902

Aimé Césaire June 26, 1913
    Halldór Kiljan Laxness April 23, 1902

Incidentally, today is a holiday of sorts in my family: International Measure-yourself day!, always on 7/7.

3. Ben Parzybok on July 7th, 2009 7:32 pm

And, cough cough, in case there was any ambiguity, measure-yourself day pertains to one’s *height*.

4. Valerie in San Diego on July 7th, 2009 10:39 pm

James Sallis’ birthday is Dec. 21. I might have to dig for a citation — I know it because he’s a close friend.

5. Valerie in San Diego on July 7th, 2009 10:40 pm

(Er, Jim’s in Wikipedia, but his birthday’s in it because I put it there back in 2006.)

6. Valerie in San Diego on July 7th, 2009 10:42 pm

and if you’ve got E. Nesbit you must have Edward Eager (June 20, 1911 – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Eager) and Madeleine L’Engle (Nov. 29, 1918 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_L%27engle).

Er, and Jim was born in 1944.

7. lcrw on July 7th, 2009 10:47 pm

Greer: Hope Mirlees: great idea! (Also, can we put you in?)

Ben: sounds like a nasty cough. Off to bed with you. Krakatoa indeed.

Valerie: some of these we have, some not.

I shouldn’t worry so much about the citations, after all, who’s going to call us on it, right?

8. Greer Gilman on July 8th, 2009 2:17 am

Gosh. I’d be thrilled.

Greer

9. James on July 8th, 2009 12:49 pm

I think I just lost a comment by trying to include links. Shoot. Trying again:

A personal favorite, David Markson, born December 20, 1927, at least according to http://madinkbeard.com/blog/archives/david-markson-an-introduction

Roberto Bolaño, born April 28, 1953 according to Wikipedia.

Herman Melville was born on August 1, 1819, something I inexplicably remember every year on that date. Did you know he once worked as a pinsetter in a bowling alley in Hawaii?

My December 5 birthday is shared by Ed Porray (1888) the only player in major league baseball history without national origin–he was born on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. As Casey Stengel used to say, “You could look it up.”

10. lcrw on July 17th, 2009 4:37 pm

James, it was going well with men and women coming out equally until your 4 guys: any fave women writers (or …?) to be nominated?

Some of these we did have, and some we didn’t. For either it was fun to see who else we have: for instance Herman Melville was born on August 1, 1819 shares his birthday with … Chuck D.!