Kindle King

Tue 10 Feb 2009 - Filed under: Not a Journal., , , | Leave a Comment | Posted by: Gavin

The news that Stephen King has an exclusive story for the Kindle is 1) not surprising: the man cannot resist a new channel and 2) depressing as all get out. His poor core fans. If they don’t have a $359 object they can’t read it. Wonder exactly how fast it will be 1) torrented and 2) in print.

When did Amazon acquire the One Ring? Amazon take such a huge cut that having books there is almost a loss leader ad for our books in stores. (People still like to pick up and see what they’re buying—and our books are all printed on pretty pretty recycled paper.)

When talking heads say not to worry about bookstores/chain stores/distributors dying because Amazon will save us all, I think: ok, I can find a job that will actually pay me because if it’s all Amazon all the time, this job won’t.

Comments

No Responses to “Kindle King”

1. Celsius1414 on February 10th, 2009 2:43 pm

I’d say if someone has $359 burning a hole in their pocket, they should donate it to their local library rather than buying this over-priced gadget.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have one. For free. 😉

2. sdn on February 10th, 2009 3:34 pm

why are people so anxious to be amazon’s slave? i wouldn’t want to buy a product where you can only shop at one store. bizarre.

3. Charles Tan on February 10th, 2009 5:39 pm

You can buy all the Small Beer Press books for $359 (and get them in hardcover!). =)

4. lcrw on February 10th, 2009 5:43 pm

Don’t get me wrong: we sell ebooks, I like the idea of them (at the moment we’re selling lots of LCRW ebooks), especially for traveling, we’re ready should ebooks blow up (to more than 1% of the market…!), but the Amazon/Kindle/Audible/Abebooks vertical integration/monopoly is too limiting.

Also: $359. It’s a useful device, but it’s not worth it. Not when you can get an iphone (or Blackberry, Palm, etc) that can give a lot more for less $$.

5. The Overlord’s Blog | Kindles monopolises the King on February 10th, 2009 10:29 pm

[…] News found here. […]

6. Lauren Dixon on February 11th, 2009 7:49 pm

The only reason I ordered one in the first place is because I have back problems and teach and am working on a phd, so it would be useful to have something that stores my books without giving me a humpback and even more pain than I already face. But now I’m rethinking the whole thing. I still don’t want an iPhone, though.