On voting today

Tue 4 Nov 2008 - Filed under: Not a Journal., | Leave a Comment | Posted by: Gavin

Thanks to everyone who bought books from Small Beer Press and helped us donate money to the Obama Campaign. We donated $539, $138.60, $144.80, $30, for a total of $852.40. Thank you.

Living in Northampton, Mass., our votes don’t really matter. Obama won this town in the state primaries and will win it again. The state will mostly vote for the Democratic party and John Kerry, despite his utterly useless campaign 4 years ago, will get re-elected. The next couple of years don’t look pretty here. The state is making cuts, the city is making cuts, our local hospital is letting go 75 people today. No one is expecting that in an Obama presidency great things will happen immediately (apart from the great thing of him being elected) but everyone knows that he is a much better choice than 4 more years of McCain/Bush.

It won’t make a difference, yet everyone knows voting matters. So this morning we walked down to the voting station at the local elementary school. We had our water bottles and something to read in case there was a queue. We were ready to wait in line (thanks Gwenda) to make our marks and take part in this amazing day.

Voting goodiesBut there was no wait. There were two voting booths open and we took them. In all it took maybe five minutes to get in and out the door—and that includes a couple of minutes wandering up and down the bake sale fundraiser for the defense department (now that all the government monies are being redirected to education and health, wait, maybe that happens next week, so maybe this was a fundraiser for the school).

We did our part for them (that apple walnut bar was verrry good) and ate our chili and corn bread outside basking in the late autumn sun and enjoying the sound of the kids chanting “Obama!” How about you? How was your vote?

Comments

No Responses to “On voting today”

1. Meghan on November 4th, 2008 2:35 pm

Oh man, I miss my small town new hampshire voting bake sale. We also didn’t need to show ID when we voted, because the town hall ladies knew everyone. I voted a week ago absentee, so somewhat anticlimactic. But not totally bummed, considering I passed two different around-the-block lines on my way to work today.

2. Gwenda on November 4th, 2008 2:39 pm

Our state will undoubtedly go for McCain, but our polling place was damn inspirational… even if we did have to wait in line for two hours! Some good samaritans brought water and cookies to people in the line, and everyone was nice about getting the elderly and disabled folks chairs to sit in.

3. Ben Parzybok on November 4th, 2008 3:41 pm

I miss voting booths/standing in line. I know that sounds odd – but since we exclusively vote by mail here (Oregon) they are a thing of the past. There was always a warm, community feeling about them.
    We voted a week ago as did most of the people we know. Now I’m just looking forward to the election party tonight and the endless stream of stats and numbers to digest. The miniseries is coming to its climax.

4. lcrw on November 4th, 2008 3:57 pm

We’re so lucky (today, before the snow comes, eek!, it seems very obvious).

I thought about voting ahead of time—it really is a much smarter way to do things—but voting this way is such a weird and enjoyable thing to do. We _walk_ down to the school, we don’t have to show ID, and everyone is there, passing through or volunteering. And now I have a little sticker and everyone who’s wearing one smiles at each other.

5. Gwenda on November 4th, 2008 4:48 pm

Yeah. There really is no substitute for day of voting.

6. Leslie on November 5th, 2008 2:29 pm

I worked the poles in my precinct (first time ever). Hard work, espec. when the machines didn’t cooperate right off the bat. But everything here in Ohio (yes, that Ohio), was “brisk and orderly” according to the newspapers. (much better than sluggish and chaotic).

7. Leslie on November 5th, 2008 2:29 pm

I mean “polls.” Did I mention that I am an editor?

8. Ben Parzybok on November 5th, 2008 2:37 pm

Oh! I thought you were talking about me for a sec.

9. Leslie on November 5th, 2008 3:09 pm

Ben: LOL! *blush* Thanks for tolerating my crappy spelling.

10. Ben Parzybok on November 5th, 2008 4:54 pm

Congrats on working the polls – obviously you did a standup job as we won Ohio! I’d love to read a post on what that was like.

11. Leslie on November 6th, 2008 4:41 pm