Here’s another reason we were up late last night:
1) We’re having a Sale—and 20% of the proceeds will go to Barack Obama’s campaign.
- Celebrate, come on! We are celebrating many things by having a sale.
- 20% of the proceeds of this sale will be donated to Barack Obama‘s campaign for President of the United States of America.
- Next month in the USA we get to show the world that the mistakes of the last eight long years will not be repeated. If you really want to buy these books but don’t want to donate to Obama, we won’t insist. But: we hope you will donate! And vote.
- Everything on this page is at least 25% off. Some of it is 60% off. Reason enough to celebrate!
- You can get every book we’ve published for $249—including those still to be published in 2008.
- We are publishing our first book for readers of all ages: Joan Aiken’s The Serial Garden and we want to make sure that the kid in your life (or you) gets it for the holidays.
- Kelly Link’s new collection, Pretty Monsters, is published today by Viking.
- With the gracious and kind permission of her US and UK publishers, most of Kelly’s previous collection, Magic for Beginners, is being released free online for the period of a year as a Creative Commons download. (More free books.)
- We just got our tax bill and apparently we have to bail the government out all by ourselves.
- Hallowe’en is coming and we need to move some books out of the haunted warehouse.
- Suggestions welcome!
- Get some books!
2) To celebrate the publication of Kelly’s new collection, Pretty Monsters, most of Kelly’s previous collection Magic for Beginners is now available as a free download in various completely open formats with no Digital Rights Management (DRM) strings attached. It is licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0) license allowing readers to share the stories with friends and generally have at them in any noncommercial manner. The book is provided below in these formats: Text file, HTML, rtf, and lo-res PDF.
Kelly Link and Small Beer Press would like to thank Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (USA) and HarperPerennial (UK) for their willingness to particpate in making these stories available online. Due to contractual obligations, “The Faery Handbag” and “Magic for Beginners” are not included in this download.
Order the book
US hardcover: Signed | Powells | local bookshop
US paperback: Signed | Powells | Amazon | local bookshop
UK edition: Amazon | John Smith | Waterstones
More editions: Japan | Germany | Romania | Poland | . . .