Music to work late to

Thu 11 Sep 2008 - Filed under: Not a Journal., | Leave a Comment | Posted by: Gavin

Liars and PrayersShould you find yourself working late some night soon, whether you’re operating a piece of heavy machinery, such as a button-maker, or doing some final work on a book, either way you’ll find that Thalia Zedek‘s new CD Liars and Prayers works very well to help drown out the noise of the band a few down the hall or to incite an appropriately deep trance to work in.

Zedek sounds a bit like Leonard Cohen, a bit wall of sound, a bit pub band: it’s definitely a lively and fascinating mix. And: timely or not, but here is a smart woman talking about politics. There are a couple of tracks on her myspace page: go listen.

Comments

No Responses to “Music to work late to”

1. cinetrix on September 11th, 2008 8:28 am

And next time you find yourself in Cambridge, dine at Emma’s, where you just might glimpse Thalia making your pie. http://emmaspizza.com/

2. Richard B. on September 11th, 2008 8:32 am

Yay, Thalia Zedek! Her old band Come was pretty great. ELEVEN ELEVEN is crucial stuff.

3. lcrw on September 11th, 2008 10:38 am

I love the Eleven Eleven, although it’s not on this computer, it’s only on the CD platter. Will need to move it from there to here. This new CD is definitely worth your journey to your local music distribution center.

I wonder if the pizza’s as good as the music? As dark? Rich? (etc. etc)

We’re going to Boston a couple of times in the next couple of weeks for Kelly to sign at a book trade show then the Harvard Book Store. There are so many good Vietnamese restaurants to visit that I’m not sure a pizza place (even one named after the Rowe Bond’s dog) will get a look in….

4. Chris McLaren on September 11th, 2008 7:45 pm

On the “vaguely Leonard Cohen-y” trail, do you kids know Benito Lertxundi?

You could make the claim that he’s kind of the Basque Cohen.

I have no idea what he’s singing about, but I quite like the albums.

5. lcrw on September 11th, 2008 10:02 pm

Chris, watched a couple of his songs on Youtube (one from a comedy show!) and it was pretty good.

6. cinetrix on September 12th, 2008 3:47 pm

Emma’s pizza is sublime, and I say that secure in the knowledge that you appreciate how far *I* live from Vietnamese food and how much I would kill for a bahn mi right now.

Plus, one of the servers who used to work there had the Kafka photo–you know, the only one–tattooed in heavy black on his forearm. Dark enough for ya?

7. lcrw on September 12th, 2008 6:59 pm

You make a compelling argument. Although I like some crispiness to my pizza crust, I don’t want it totally burned. Ha ha. Anyway, I’ve noted it and maybe we will make it over there.

I tried making pho once, it was ok. Perhaps not surprisingly it wasn’t as good as restaurant.

8. lcrw on September 16th, 2008 6:19 pm

Went back and dug up the Come CDs and it’s Don’t Ask Don’t Tell that gets the Eternal Play button pressed.